Thursday, July 12, 2012


WHY I WILL NOT BE DRAFTING ANY REDSKINS THIS SEASON

This is the 5th article in my series on NFL teams that I will not be drafting a single player from in fantasy football this season.  This is a different way to look at your draft but can be a strategy that will limit second guessing and taking a guy just because the rankings say you should.  I will say again that it is not that I do not believe these guys should not be drafted at all, simply that their current situations, injuries or rankings/average draft position will not put them on any of my teams.  There is still plenty of time for things to change and I am sure players will be moving up and down draft sheets, but for now I am working with what I have.  All decisions are also made on drafting from a standard scoring, 10 team league since most players take part in this format today.

Previously I have eliminated the 49ers, Jets, Rams and Jaguars from my draft sheets.  Big names such as Gore, Davis, Moss, Greene, Holmes, Steven Jackson and MJD are not going to be on any of my teams this year.  To that list you can now RGIII, Helu, Davis and Garcon.  Like the previous four teams, the Redskins have a question mark at the QB position.  Now I do believe that of the five teams, the Skins likely have the best QB, but a rookie is still a rookie.  Outside of the rookie QB, the Redskins hold the one, true reason why you should stay far away from them in fantasy football, Mike Shanahan.  Mike Shanahan does like fantasy football.  Mike Shanahan wants you to fail in fantasy football.  Mike Shanahan laughs himself to sleep at night thinking about the RB you thought was going to get the carries but instead watched the guy from the practice squad pile up 200 yards and 3 TDs.  He then almost dies from pure hysteria thinking about how you will then use your first priority waiver claim or 50% of your FAB budget on that practice squad player only to realize that he has scratched them from next week’s game. 

The draft prospects for the Redskins start at the RB position with Roy Helu and if you have not owned a RB coached by Mike Shanahan, you surely have spent time laughing at the owners who have.  Shanahan has never shown us that he can be trusted to start the same RB for more than 5 carries.  Sunday morning reports will come out detailing which RB will start for Shanahan, and they will, but they are then likely to end the game with 3 carries while their backups take on another 30.  You just cannot trust a RB coached by Shanahan in your fantasy roster and feel good about it.  I would much rather grab James Starks, currently 13 spots behind Helu, and feel more certain to get fantasy production every week.  For this same reason I will not be wasting a pick in the 13th round on Tim Hightower.  You just never want to have a Redskin RB on your roster because you will be tempted to start them and that will be the reason you lost that week.

Fred Davis is another possible option on the Redskins roster many will be considering.  Davis has the makings of being a good TE, but again he has a rookie QB throwing to him.  The main fault I find with Davis is that you have to spend a late 8th/early 9th round selection to acquire his services.  He is currently the 8th TE off the board and could easily finish around the 10th best TE in fantasy, but I like the value of Pettigrew in the 10th, Gonzalez in the 12th or 15th round values of Owen Daniels or Brent Celek so much more.  Davis is just not spectacular enough to warrant where he is being taken.

The next Redskin currently coming off the board with an ADP of 87 is Pierre Garcon.  Garcon has never been a great route runner or had the surest hands in the business.  Last year he finished as the 23rd best WR in fantasy, but that was all due to 3 monster games where all 6 of his TDs and nearly 50% of his yardage came against the likes of Tampa Bay, Kansas City and New England.  In 13 other games last season he averaged less than 4 fantasy points per game.  As the 33rd WR taken on average you hopefully will have 3 better options already at your disposal and then can grab a WR like DHB or Boldin two rounds later.  Santana Moss is the 46th WR being taken in mock drafts this season and at this point in your draft you should not be trying to buy known, sub-par production but rather a possible breakout candidate such as Brandon LaFell or Michael Floyd.

Lastly I come back to the prize of the Redskins’ 2011 draft, Robert Griffin III.  Robert Griffin has all the tools to pull another Cam Newton and really surprise everyone this year, but I just do not want to pay a 9th rounder for that possibility.  I would rather have a guy like Big Ben, six spots behind RGIII, or even Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub who both are 2 rounds later in drafts on my team.  In a 10 team league we are talking about backup QBs here so taking a flier on RGIII might be fine, though you will likely be trying to grab RB handcuffs such as Jonathan Stewart, Michael Bush, Mark Ingram or Toby Gerhart rather than drafting your backup QB. 

So because Shanahan is their coach and I do not love the value any of them currently possess, I will not be drafting any Redskins on my fantasy football teams this season.  As always feedback, opinions and insights are always welcomed and you can reach me below or on twitter. 

Keep checking back to see which team will get taken off the draft sheet next and more weekly draft trends and strategies will also be coming to the Gator Blog soon.

Luke Wetta
Fantasy Football Aggregator
luke@ffgator.com

No comments:

Post a Comment