Monday, July 16, 2012


WHY I WILL NOT BE DRAFTING ANY CARDINDALS THI SEASON

The 2012 Arizona Cardinals are joining 5 other teams that I will not be drafting a single player from in fantasy football this season.  I have been writing that the easiest way to clean up your draft sheets this season is by completely eliminating players from certain teams.  Reasons may be because of injury, expectations, personnel changes around them or current rankings and average draft position.  It is still early in the season and I am certainly not etching this strategy in stone, but come draft time I will likely not have a single player from the 49ers, Jets, Rams, Jaguars, Redskins and now the Cardinals on my fantasy teams.  You can read back through the Gator Blog on detailed explanations why each team has appeared in this series to date, but now I am focusing on Arizona.  I am also basing my assumptions in this article on re-draft, 10 team, standard scoring leagues.  As always I will say I do not endorse this as the best format for the fantasy football enthusiast, just that this is the most common format played today.

When looking at the Cardinals the two big names that come to mind for fantasy purposes are Larry Fitzgerald and Beanie Wells.  Ryan Williams and Michael Floyd are likely the only other considerations on this team but I will quickly discount each of them.  Williams missed the entire 2011 campaign due to injury and I am not about to take a speculative pick on essentially a rookie coming off injury on a team where I don’t even like the starter at RB.  Guys like Blount and Daniel Thomas are being drafted after Williams and I would actually even take Pierre Thomas four rounds later over Williams at this point.  Floyd is a rookie this season on a team that is not settled at QB.  Mainly though he is coming off the board as the 47th WR and I don’t see myself drafting five WRs on many team this season.  You can easily grab 3 solid WRs in round 3 – 6 this season and feel pretty good about putting them in your lineup each week.  Add one more WR a little later and that will be it for me.  Grabbing more RBs with speculative picks will likely be more important and a focus in the later rounds.

So I will circle back to Fitzgerald.  Last season, in spite of what was going on at the QB position, Fitz checked in as the 5th best WR with 1,400 yards and 8 TDs.  Producing this same line again this season is probably about right and he likely will be a top 5 WR again.  The main problem I see with him though is that if you want him you need to grab him by the middle of the 2nd round.  His current ADP is 16, with only Calvin being chosen ahead of him in mock drafts to date.  The RB position is considerably more shallow than wide receiver this season, so I do not like spending a 2nd round selection on a position that I believe has great value in the following four rounds.  Even guys like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant or Marques Colston (all being taken in the 4th – 6th rounds of drafts) could match or come close to Fitz’s numbers this year so I don’t want to overpay too early and end up starting Frank Gore at RB (particularly since I should have already scratched him off my draft sheets).  So with Fitzgerald it is not about doubting his ability to put up great fantasy numbers this season, it is that I believe there are too many other guys who can come close to delivering those same numbers that I can draft a couple rounds later.

Beanie Wells was a little more difficult for me to gauge.  For a guy who finished as the 15th best RB in fantasy last season, drafting him at the end of the 7th round as the 27th RB off the board appears to be a steal.  There are three main factors that came into my reasoning for removing him from my draft sheets in July: injuries, stats and schedule.  Wells has already had multiple surgeries on his knees and mainly refuses to play unless the questionable tag is applied at all times.  With Beanie you are constantly checking injury reports up until game time to decide whether he is going to play or not.  The problem is that even if he does play, he might not be playing that well do to bad knees and constant injuries.  That leads my into stats.  Last season Wells accumulated 74 fantasy points in the first 5 games of the season even though he only played in four.  The last 10 games of the season (he did not play in Week 17) he managed only 85 fantasy points combined.  So his average fantasy points per game dropped from 18.5 to 8.5 as the season wore on.  He lost more than 3 attempts per game as well after the first five games of the season and that was without any kind of suitable backup to take some of the pressure away.  He also scored only 4 TDs in the last 10 games and if you remove one massive outing against the Rams in week 12, Wells averaged just under 50 yards rushing per game after Week 6.  Finally there is the schedule to consider.  I do not put all my stock in strength of schedule, but all the rankings I have seen show the Cardinals having around the 5th hardest schedule for RBs.  They play the NFC North and the AFC East this season so outside of getting to play the Rams twice, they are either playing tough run defenses or teams that will likely put them in a 3 touchdown hole before half time.  Either way the running game does not look to be a bright spot on this team.  You can grab a guy like James Starks a couple spots behind Beanie or wait more than a round later and start picking up guys like Hillis, Tate, Ridley or Jonathan Stewart and feel better about your RB position.

Keep checking back to see which team is next on my hit list in fantasy football drafts this season and as always feedback and opinions are welcomed.

Luke Wetta
Fantasy Football Aggregator
luke@ffgator.com

No comments:

Post a Comment